CBC Ministry Leaders login to access the leader's area.

Cancel

CBC Logo Header
Leader login
The Cornerstone 224 First Street The ground breaking The Building Process Standing on the Promises Our New Church Our Sanctuary

The Cornerstone

Our church was incorporated and ground-breaking took place on Sunday, October 31, 1948. On September 25, 1949, a cornerstone was laid for the new building.

224 First Street

In 1953, approximately 105 people joyfully sang and shouted as they marched into their new location at 224 First Street, Englewood, NJ.

The ground breaking

In June 2008, a Groundbreaking Celebration was held as the Community Baptist Church stepped out in faith to break ground for our new facility.

The Buliding Process

In September 2008, CBC members gathered to witness the demolition of our old sanctuary. New construction began in October 2009.

Standing on the Promises

During the construction phase, members of CBC wrote their favorite scriptures on the sub floor. As Pastor Taylor likes to say, "We will always be standing on the promises of God".

Our New Church

On January 8, 2011, a sacred service of dedication was held to honor the Lord for our new church facility.

Our Sanctuary

Our new state of the art sanctuary seats 850 worshippers. Join us every Sunday for a spirit-filled worship experience.

It all began in 1932...

Community Baptist Church History
  • In 1932, a small group of people under the leadership of Rev. Robert L. Harris met at the home of Mrs. Rosa Sample and began the Community Baptist Mission. Rev. Harris, Deacons Jackson, Down, and Livingston were the founding members. Eventually, this mission began meeting at 191 First Street.

  • In 1941, Rev. C. Robinson became the second pastor and under his leadership on April 15, 1941, the Community Baptist Mission was sanctioned as a Baptist Church by the Northern New Jersey Baptist Convention (presently known as the North Jersey District Missionary Baptist Association).

  • In 1942, Rev. Joseph M. Wilson, a master builder, became the third pastor of the Community Baptist Church. On April 16, 1945, two lots were purchased from Herman and Naomi Smith for the construction of a new facility for a staggering $300.

  • On August 17, 1948, the church was incorporated. Ground breaking took place on Sunday, October 31, 1948 and on September 25, 1949 the cornerstone was laid for the new building. Four years later in 1953, a grand march from 191 First Street was held as approximately 105 people joyfully sang and shouted as they moved into their new church located at 224 First Street, Englewood, New Jersey. Worship was held in the basement until the walls and the second floor of the sanctuary was completed. In 1965, the second phase of the building was completed and worship began in the upstairs sanctuary.

  • In 1972, Rev. Joseph M. Wilson, architect and builder, retired and soon made his eternal transition.

  • In 1973, Rev. Clarence E. Kenner became the fourth pastor of the Community Baptist Church. Under his leadership, the church grew both spiritually and organizationally. Many auxiliaries were added to the church but most importantly, many souls were added to the church. In addition, many improvements were done to the facility to enhance its beauty and comfort. After 19 years of pastoral ministry here, Pastor Kenner retired.

  • In 1993, Rev. Dr. Lester W. Taylor, Jr. became the fifth pastor of the Community Baptist Church. Under his leadership, our church experienced significant growth and development. As a visionary leader, our pastor began to share his vision for building a new facility. The church embarked upon several capital stewardship programs to raise money needed to acquire property and to qualify for a construction loan. Ten surrounding properties were acquired debt-free for the purpose of securing the borders, as the church sought to possess the land. In December of 2007, the Englewood Board of Adjustments approved our application for the construction of the new Community Baptist Church of Englewood.

  • In June of 2008, the Ground Breaking Celebration was held and the Community family stepped out in faith and broke ground for our new facility. On Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 150 faithful members gathered to witness the demolition of our old sanctuary. After crossing some hurdles, the construction of our new facility began in October 2009.

  • On January 8, 2011, a sacred service of dedication was held to honor the Lord for our new church facility. The bible teaches, "Except the Lord builds the house, they who build it labor in vain" (Psalms 127:1). We acknowledge the gifts and skills of all who labored on this project but we believe it was the hand of the Lord that brought us from the tabernacle to the temple.